Wednesday, August 26, 2020

engage

There's something unearthly and timeless about Mazzy Star's song, Into Dust. It seems to me that David Roback and Hope Sandoval, who together formed Mazzy Star, are true artists. They don't seem to have courted fame and fortune, but rather sought to make really good music. I think that's reflected in the way they perform. All the show is in the music. Like, watch this performance - Blue Flower.....it's a superb song with a kind of velvet underground sound and it's brilliantly performed, but there's no personal engagement with the audience. The band, including Hope, hardly even look at the audience. 

I was pleased to read about something I have in common with Hope Sandoval. At school she struggled socially and academically, and they put her in the Special Ed class. It happened to me in first grade, and it happened to her in High School, so it was probably more difficult for her, but in a way it was better because she just stopped going to classes and eventually dropped out. According to Wikipedia, she preferred to stay home and listen to records. She's quoted as saying: "It's just like anybody else—some people, most people don't wanna go to school. They just don't want to....I was just somebody who got away with it... There wasn't really anyone watching." 

My 6 year old self can relate. I remember telling my parents that I didn't understand the purpose of going to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment