Friday, August 28, 2020

la facilità delle lenticchie

do people actually follow recipes? I think you have to learn the different skills and gradually build a repertoire. 

I once tried to make curry following a recipe, and there were a lot of really flavourful ingredients - spices, sauces, fruit, jam, etc - so I thought it was going to taste great. But it tasted terrible. I don't think I had the technical expertise to properly follow the recipe, which was quite complex. 

but the way I cook lentils, which always turn out great, is so imprecise. The first time I cooked them, I did follow a basic recipe. I wouldn't even call it a recipe...more like a method or technique. It's like rice...you don't call how to cook rice a recipe.

so, here's what I do add 1 cup of split red lentils to a pan / rinse three times / add 3 cups of water / pour in some soy sauce...don't worry about measuring. just pour whatever you think. you can always add more later / get about 5 or so different spices...don't worry about compatability. if they're all savoury they'll go together fine..I'm currently using smoked paprika, garlic, cumin, turmeric, chinese 5 spices....again, don't measure - just sprinkle however much you think. more of the flavours you like, and less of the stronger flavours / heat, simmer....again, don't measure time. just keep heating and simmering until the lentils soften and kind of breakdown and the mixture turns into a kind of thick soup. Add salt but only after the lentils have softened. I think putting it in earlier actually stops the lentils from softening somehow. You can also add a vegetable stock cube with the spices. 

in future I might experiment and add other ingredients, like maybe some meat or some other vegetables, but I'm content with the basic one for now. could there be an easier recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment