Monday, September 2, 2024

understanding

In some ways I can understand why some people argue that critical theory or literary theory is fundamentally opposed to Christianity, but as a student of English literature and a Christian, I strongly disagree. Most academics are not primarily concerned with agitating for social change. Their interest is in studying texts and literature and formulating theories about how texts work, and all of those theories also apply to the Bible, so they can enrich our understanding of it. It's not subversive. I think it can be, but that's a different issue. It's not fundamentally subversive. 

I'm not an academic by profession but if I was, I can imagine going to a church and hearing that my profession is fundamentally opposed to Christianity and hearing that I would not go back to that church because what they are teaching is untrue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment