Thursday, February 4, 2021

നങ്ങൾ

does every text have to have a structure? supposedly they do, but something I've noticed, especially about more modern novels that I like, not so much the older classic novels (not sure why). 

what i've noticed is about the endings. it seems like writers want to have a proper conclusion - like, end with a kind of summing up or a statement of something profound, but I often don't like the endings. either their anti-climactic or they're kind of disturbing - so, either under-impacting or over-impacting. the problem is basically that I really like the novel, but the ending is different - the ending does something different from what the rest of the novel does. 

i was thinking about why I don't find this problem with older literature - like nineteenth century literature - and I think it's because, in the classic texts, the writers begin the final movement earlier - they really build up to it. It is different from the rest of the story, but they don't spring it on you in the last few pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment