Thursday, July 21, 2022

to what end?

The future isn't what it seems and it's generally better than what I envisage. I tend to project my current conditions onto the future as if nothing changes, but things do change. I think something along the lines of this: How on earth am I going to run when I can't even walk? I feel defeated because I'm already struggling to walk and I'm rehearsing all of these situations in my mind that require me to run.

But the reality is that, if I keep trying each day, by the time I'm in those situations that require me to run, it won't be a problem. There's something about life that will not allow you to get near a challenge until you're ready for it. We don't lie in bed on Sunday night stressing and wondering how we are going to get up and go to work the next day when we're lying in bed, because we take things a step at a time. At the right time, we get up, we get ready, we have breakfast, we travel to work, etc. 

Another way to think about this issue is the analogy of two beasts living inside you that want to fight each other. One of them will win and will become your defining beast. Which one will win? The one you feed the most. The fight is not as intense as we might expect, because there is a double-edged sword involved. As soon as one of the beasts begins to hit its stride, the result is almost a foregone conclusion, because, if beast A is winning and that's the one you're feeding, that means beast B is getting weaker and easier to beat. 

Recovery, change, adaptation, are hard at first because it's all about loss and endings - the loss of what you've known, the end of life as you know it - but as you make progress, not only do you build momentum in the right direction but you actually start getting pulled through the process by what is at the other side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment