Saturday, August 13, 2022

notebook hijinx

I bought 5 2022 diaries. They were only $2 each, because the year is 3/4 finished, and they are great as notebooks. They have a nice, well-bound, attractive, hard cover, and, being a day to a page, they have more than 365 pages.

Notebooks this good would normally be at least 10 times the price I paid for them, but there's no demand for them - the shop where I bought them is having trouble selling them - because people don't see them as notebooks. Everyone is thinking that they are 2022 diaries, so they have very little value any more. The thing is, even as a diary, they're worth much more than $2. You could still use them as a diary. The dates are going to be the same next year. Just write the day of the week at the top of each page. It's easy to remember because every day next year will be one day later than every day this year. 

It made me think about how you can't rely on price as a reflection of value, and it made me think about how we can be blind to the value of things. Like, I've never thought about diaries in this way before. What else am I missing? How else am I blinkered by conditioning?  

No comments:

Post a Comment