Sunday, April 21, 2024

favorite writers

I've always preferred Dostoevsky to Tolstoy, because he resonates more with me. The word that represents Tolstoy is 'grandeur', and the word that represents Dostoevsky is 'passion'.

But Tolstoy is not cold. He makes grandeur attractive and warm, which interestingly reminds me of something that someone wrote about Emily Brontë. I say it's interesting because, to my mind, Dostoevsky is so much like Emily Brontë, and Tolstoy is not at all like her. 

But what I read was that, in Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë takes all the elements of the Gothic, and brings them into a domestic English setting, unlike any of the famous gothic writers, like Ann Radcliffe, for example. I think, in some ways, Tolstoy brings his grand themes into a humble, homely setting as a way of engaging the reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment