Sunday, December 20, 2020

ਮੁਕਾਬਲਾ

I was walking to the local shops today and on the way I saw a dog that I've seen around before. It's extremely rare around here to see a dog on the loose. I've noticed before that he (or maybe she, but I'll say 'he' for convenience) seems to follow people but then stop and return to a certain area....maybe someone around there owns him...I don't know. 

But he looks kind of lost and hungry. It seems like he's looking for something. He looks like a pit-bull, so he's probably a bit intimidating, but he doesn't show any aggression. 

So, while I was at the shop, I bought a can of nice dog food - not the cheap kind, but the kind with actual pieces of meat and gravy - and a couple of packs of 'straps' dog treats. On my way home, I didn't see him at first but then I looked up a side street and there he was. He was maybe 40 or 50 metres away from me. 

After I left the shop, I was thinking, I should have bought a bowl, because, what am I gona put the dog food in? But then I realised that I could put it in the plastic container that the nectarines I bought were in. 

When he saw me and saw that I was walking towards him, he wagged his tail, so that's a good sign. But then, when I got close, he wouldn't let me approach him. He didn't growl or anything - he just backed away and stood a few metres away. He seemed kind of jumpy, like he thought maybe I was going to hit him or something. He whimpered a little bit, which shows that he would have liked to come closer, but he didn't trust me. 

So, anyway, I emptied the nectarines out of the container and put the dog food in it, and left it where he could see it. Then, when I walked away and looked back, he was eating the food. 

I'll keep the dog treats in my bag (and maybe give some to my own dogs....I already gave them some) in case I see him again. 

On the subject of pit-bulls, I actually kind of like them. I haven't had much experience with them, but I've had experience with other types of dogs who are kind of known for being potentially dangerous - like the kind of dogs that make good guard dogs, and I've always found that, if you give them a good home where they are cared for and you give them attention, they're totally good natured, trustworthy and manageable. 

Of course they do also make good guard dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment