Thursday, June 23, 2022

go your own way

I watched this video called, Why you need to make bad art to become a great artist. I don't know if I'll ever be a great artist....probably not, but I strongly agree with the principle expressed in the video. 

I've written before in my blog about how I got a wacom intuos drawing tablet and then, after a few attempts at using it, I put it aside and didn't use it for maybe a year. I had the idea that I had to do art a certain way, and I just wasn't good at it. I wasn't even good at art on paper using traditional art materials, and using a tablet is harder. But then one day I had the thought - I just want to use this tablet and some art software and create for the sake of creating. Instead of putting aside my drawing tablet, I put aside the idea that the way I create has to be like the way other people create. Since then I have made hundreds of digital artworks, and I developed some skills as I went. Same with traditional art. I just wanted to make art in my own way so I got all these different art supplies - water based markers, alcohol based markers, all different kinds of paint, crayons, pencils, pens, gel pens, paper and sketch books, and I just make art in my own way. One day I'd like to have a studio and maybe work on canvases and use oil paints, but for now I work in sketchbooks and use water-soluble paints and all the other implements I mentioned. 

I like something Andy Warhol said about art: “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”

No comments:

Post a Comment