Sunday, October 11, 2020

compromise

 Thomas Mann said: 

A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.

That quote came to mind yesterday when someone who is an experienced writer in different media - novels, screenplays, etc - was giving me advice about my upcoming nanowrimo project. I hadn't asked for advice....I was just sharing that I'm going to do it, but the advice was really good...it gave me more of an idea of what I could write. But it raises the problem that I always seem to face when it comes to writing a novel. 

I've figured that the only way I'm going to be able to do nanowrimo is if I make it really easy for myself, but the ideas I took from the conversation yesterday were not easy things /// they were exciting and interesting things. But my writer friend, at the same time as inspiring all of these ambitious ideas, was also advising me not to worry about the quality of the first draft - just get it done. 

So, I'll probably combine the two - write it in a way that is easy for me, and, draw on some of the interesting ideas that came from my conversation yesterday. 

2 comments:

  1. Short and simple. Woahh, you aced in few words only. The first quote is so relatable. Even though I have been writing since childhood it's really tough to write, I get panic sometimes but end of the day, I do my work in best possible way. Well, your writing is too good just like your previous blog here

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes I like to write really short posts - even just one sentence or less. I think writing is not always about making a point or making an argument or fully exploring something....sometimes it's good to write something strange or out of context or which doesn't really make sense in the normal way we think of it - but it creates its own sense

    ReplyDelete