Monday, April 10, 2023

something made

I still don't make a lot of money from writing on Medium.com, but it's exciting just to be making anything, to be honest, and to be writing stuff that I feel is meaningful. Same with Redbubble. I've made very few sales. A friend of mine bought a few things when I first created my Redbubble shop, and I've bought a few things, mainly just to see how they turned out - whether they were any good. But again, it's exciting. I'm putting my art on products. 

A couple of years ago I didn't even know if I could do art. Not proper art. Yeah, I could create some weird experimental pieces that I enjoyed creating and may be interesting to look at, but not real art. Now I feel like, whether or not my art is good, it's art. 

I like this quote from Andy Warhol:

Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.

I don't like the first sentence as much as the rest of it. I don't think of art as something you 'just get done', or as something you don't think about. Thinking is part of it. But maybe what he's getting at is the dichotomy between rumination and action. The first sentence is strongly related to the rest of the quote. 

So, what I take from it is: don't think about how good your art is. Make art. Do what you want to do. Create. And keep creating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment