Sunday, April 2, 2023

you never know until you try

A lot of the time, it's more important that you make a start than it is that you know where you're going and what you're doing. 

I'm trying to think of ideas to make videos about, so I was brain storming, and one of my ideas was - things that God hates. But when I thought about it, I realized that that's not a good idea for a video. It made me laugh. Like, what sort of images am I going to use?

But then....I googled 'things that God hates' (there's a list of them in the Bible...things like 'haughty eyes' and 'a lying tongue') and I looked on Pexels for those things, and there were some really interesting and striking images. They're images that I want to use in videos, even though I don't know what the videos will be about yet. So, it made me think about how the creative process works. 

When I first started to actually make digital art, as opposed to thinking about doing it and making kind of half hearted attempts to do it, it was really just because I wanted to do it. I didn't have good ideas. I just thought, I want to create. 

Another example of this same principle is with books. Most of the books that I have read and really liked, it was kind of by chance that I read them. I didn't know that I was going to like them. A lot of them I had to read for uni. Others, I just happened to pick up the book and read it or someone recommended it. I know that I like classics so reading them is usually a good bet. But I've read some classics that I didn't like at all. 

So, when you're doing something creative, sitting down and trying to think of what you're going to create is not the way. You have to start creating and you will have ideas as you go. The creative work itself will fuel your creativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment