Saturday, April 8, 2023

the book I'm reading

I bought a very exciting book today - Biblical Critical Theory by Christopher Watkin. The hardcover is not even due out until June 2023, but I bought the e-book. 

This book truly fills a gap, I think. Sometimes I've wondered if it's even possible to reconcile critical theory and the Christian faith. People like Neil Shenvi would have you believe that the two are absolutely opposed - no question about it. They vociferously argue that critical theory is fundamentally unbiblical, opposed to Christianity, and that it represents a corrupting influence. 

Neil Shenvi is a theoretical chemist. James Lindsay, another widely respected figure of opposition to critical theory, has an academic background in mathematics. And Lindsay admits that critical theory is mainly about literature. So, what authority do these 2 have to talk about critical theory? I'm more of an expert in critical theory because I've done a degree with honors and some postgraduate study in English literature. I've spent years studying critical theory and I'm still learning about it. 

I'm a Christian. I love God. I love the Bible, and I believe the Bible is God's word. But I also love critical theory. That's why I'm really excited to read Biblical Critical Theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment