Saturday, April 15, 2023

under standing

A common mistake is to place more value than is probably warranted on the views of people who are smart or talented or successful. Why do we think that because someone is a good writer, or even a great writer, that they can comment with authority about social issues? Why do we give such weight to the views of some prominent scientists about whether or not God exists? How would they know any better than anyone else? Yes, they're very smart and they may be an excellent scientist, but when it comes to spiritual truths, they're no more expert than anyone else. 

People on both sides of the issue get worked up about what J K Rowling thinks about transgender people, but who cares what she thinks? Some people who really love Harry Potter feel betrayed. People on the other side feel vindicated and now invoke J K Rowling to support their argument. No offence to J K Rowling, but why are we attributing so much authority - for good and bad - to her views? She is no wiser than anyone else. A lot of writers are nasty pieces of work. I'm not saying J K Rowling is. 

Personally I find Lionel Shriver to be quite abrasive and unpleasant. I think she's deliberately provocative. She would probably agree with that assessment though. 

I understand this tendency. I do it as well. When some actor or writer or celebrity voices a view that I agree with, I think....yeah, that's right! Or, if they voice a view that I don't agree with, I feel kind of offended. 

Actually, whether it's from a celebrity or not, I feel very strongly when people voice views I disagree with. Something in me wants to argue. I can't rest with them holding a view that I disagree with. But I'm learning not to argue. It's sublimely pointless to argue. To have a discussion or a conversation may be productive, or even a spirited debate, but no one wins an argument. In the long history of arguments, has anyone ever convinced the other person of their view by continuing to argue? 

No comments:

Post a Comment