Tuesday, March 14, 2023

హా зätзи бӯ Mз ணு

Probably the best book I've read about how to eat healthily is Eat. Nourish. Glow by Amelia Freer. It's full of revelations that are profound and yet simple. 

Sometimes I have thought that there is so much to learn about nutrition and it's complicated. You need to understand how your digestive system works and how different foods interact with the body, and so on. 

But there are some very simple principles that you can implement to make a big difference. One of those principles is that you should try to eat as much unprocessed and lightly processed foods and as little processed foods as you can. So, fruits, vegetables, oats, grains...and along with this, rather than eating take-out or pre-prepared, cook your own food from scratch. 

Another key principle in the book is that, contrary to what we've been told, fat is not the enemy. The real enemy is sugar. 'Diet' products are not good for you, because they take out the fat, which takes out the flavor, and then to make up for that, what do they add? Sugar! And the irony here is that one of the many negative effects sugar has on your body and your health is that it makes you fat. It has a lot of other negative effects too. 

It's not easy to cut out sugar altogether though, or make other dramatic changes in one's diet. It's a journey. I'm just starting to get back into healthy eating again now - eating fruit, cooking for myself, eating lentils, eating vegetables, making smoothies. In some ways I'm still not doing great. I still eat a lot of sugar. The way I think of it, though, is that what matters is that I'm making progress. Yes, I'm still eating too much chocolate, but I ate less chocolate this week than I did last week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment