Sunday, March 26, 2023

words to order and disorder

One of my favorite quotes from Nietzsche is: "That for which we find words is something already dead in our hearts. There is always a kind of contempt in the act of speaking."

I don't know if it's true, but it's such an interesting idea. I think it identifies something that is true but we can work against that influence. I feel it when I write. Before I write something, I think it through. I think about where it will go, and if, after thinking it through, there's no question in my mind, I won't write about that. It seems like there's no point. 

If I'm only going to express something that I'm fully convinced of and I'm content with my level of understanding about, I don't see the point of writing. 

I think, even essays, where you're specifically writing to demonstrate your knowledge, should be an expression of learning and engagement rather than just a recitation of information and ideas. That's just how I feel about it, but in reality and in practice, when you write an essay that is being marked, the marker is always looking for certain information and ideas, so if you include the content they're looking for, you will do well. 

But where's the fun in being a machine that spits out the desired results? 

No comments:

Post a Comment