Sunday, September 27, 2026

path taken

The first time I went to university was in 1986. I was doing a combined commerce/ law degree, but I didn't end up finishing it. I chose commerce because I really liked economics when I studied it in high school, but I bombed out of commerce. I failed all 3 of my commerce subjects in that first semester. The kind of economics I liked was macroeconomics but none of the courses in first year commerce were about that. There was accounting, microeconomics and quantitative methods. 

So, after that I transferred to doing a combined Jurisprudence/ Law degree, which was basically a lot of law, with a minor stream of some other subject of my choice. I ended up choosing economic history.

That first time, I got through 2 years of studying full-time but then ended up doing some other things - working, travelling, etc. Then, in 1996 I went back to uni and this time I was doing a combined Arts and Education degree majoring in English and History. Again, it didn't work exactly as planned and I didn't finish the education degree but I did finish the Arts degree. 

I still worked in education. I did a lot of English tutoring, and in 2009 I did my Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, then I worked in vocational education as a trainer and developer for around 7 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment