Tuesday, September 1, 2026

surrender

When I first started reading Daniel Deronda by George Eliot, I didn't make it to the end. What I didn't like is that a really intriguing character is introduced at the start, but then they go away, and they stay away for hundreds of pages, while you're reading about some pretty unpleasant characters. I kept reading in the hope that the good part of the story would start, and I was just ploughing through this first part to get to the good part, and it really wasn't worth it, so I ended up giving up. 

Then I watched the BBC miniseries of Daniel Deronda and I loved it, so I returned to the book and this time I read through the whole thing. I suppose I just needed to see that it was a good story - that it really had something to offer. Reading it that second time, I was content to just let the book lead me and enjoy the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment