Tuesday, September 22, 2026

the anxiety in the anxiety of influence

I was watching a video that tried to explain Harold Bloom's 'the anxiety of influence'. I was interested in how someone would explain the theory in a short video. 

I noticed a couple of problems with the explanation. One of them was that, when the presenter was talking about how, in Bloom's theory, writers have precursors who are their biggest influence and about whom they experience the 'anxiety of influence'. That's fine but then the presenter talked about how we could think of that relationship as being one where the affinity arises from the choice of subject. So, the precursor writes about some theme or subject and the writer being influenced wants to write about that subject as well. Bloom explicitly states that that isn't what he means by influence. It's not about writing about similar ideas or subjects. The issue is aesthetic power - the ability to write well. The writer looks at his or her precursors and realizes that the situation is hopeless - they can never write that well. That's the anxiety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment