Sunday, December 31, 2023

mocchi

I got some new books - some I bought and some as Christmas presents. One of them was a novel by a famous actor. I started reading this other book that I'm about to mention, but then I thought, actually I'll give the actor one a go. 

At first I thought it was good because it was smooth and polished, but I very quickly came to abhor it. It was like the voice-over from a nostalgic American movie about a bygone era. Everyone was a character. Nothing strange or disturbing. Everything so damn nice and pleasant....children so innocent and old people so wise....so fake, just like most successful movies. So sweet and insipid. 

So, I turned to Wifedom by Anna Funder, and I was so refreshed. This is writing. It's original, interesting, thought provoking....intelligent....yes, that's what that other book was lacking. It spoon fed you what you're supposed to like, and maybe what people do like. It didn't engage you. What a relief. Sometimes I've wondered if all modern literature is bland and boring....just a series of clichés, but no there is still some good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment