Monday, November 21, 2022

book recommendations

The three books that I usually list as my favorite books are all books that I discovered early in my English and History degree: Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein and Middlemarch. So that view is colored by the enthusiasm I felt about learning and discovering literature. Those favorites are special not just because I really appreciate them but because of the context in which I found them. 

A list of the books that I rate highly is going to have a lot more books on it. There are books that I think are probably as good as those three but they just don't bask in the glow of my discovery of the field of English literature and literary criticism. 

So, in no particular order, here are some of the books I would recommend (besides my three favorites already mentioned):

1. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky 

2. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

3. A House for Mr Biswas by V S Naipaul

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontё

5. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

6. Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey

7. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 

8. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

9. The Story of an African Farm by Olive Schreiner

10. Such is Life by Joseph Furphy 

No comments:

Post a Comment