Sunday, November 20, 2022

tension

My art is a series of intentional accidents. I'm never fully in control. I get a sense of what happens when I do certain things, so when I'm creating an artwork, I try the things I know and maybe try something different. Over time my repertoire of things to try grows. 

I never like using simple, straight-forward colors - like plain blue, red, green, etc. I like using the in-between colors on the color wheel. But I experiment. There are colors that I think are pretty boring, to look at them on the color wheel, but then, when you apply them, they look completely different because of the other colors around them, or under them or mixed with them. 

I absolutely love art that is obviously art - like you can see the media - but it also represents something real. Like the art of Izumi Kogahara, for example, or the impressionists, like Monet and Pissaro. 

There's a tension between roughness and precision, and tension produces beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment