Thursday, November 17, 2022

momentous

I remember in year 7 religious education class, we had a textbook and I only remember one thing about that book. It was a picture of Abraham that looked like it had been drawn using colored pencils and it had a subtitle or a brief description that said that God told Abraham to leave his people and go to the land that he would show him. 

I think the statement in large letters was even briefer than that. It said something like, 'God told Abraham to go'. I don't know exactly why but this really caught my imagination, which is why I still remember it. 

In his essay, 'Spiritual Laws', Emerson wrote:
A few anecdotes, a few traits of character, manners, face, a few incidents, have an emphasis in your memory out of all proportion to their apparent significance, if you measure them by the ordinary standards. They relate to your gift. Let them have their weight, and do not reject them, and cast about for illustration and facts more usual in literature.
It's like each of us has our own language and life is always saying something to us that only we can understand. There are moments that I will never forget that I'm sure the other people involved
have forgotten, and there are probably moments I've forgotten...it was just another moment...that other people will never forget. Sometimes I think it's a shared thing though. I don't really know for sure but some of these moments that involved another person, I think maybe it was a special moment for them too.

The interesting thing is that these moments are not big things. They can be. They can be related to a big change in our life, but a lot of them are of such little significance in the bigger scheme of things. But, as Emerson writes, they have huge significance to us. 

I think it's very fitting that the best moments are unassuming like that. When do you have your most meaningful conversations with a good friend? It's late at night when you're doing the dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment