Thursday, November 16, 2023

creativity feeds hope

I watched a video by Jamie Windsor and he talked about an exhibition by the photographer, Nan Goldin that he went to. The video was titled, When Bad Photos are Better, and he said that it was the imperfections in the works that facilitated more of an emotional connection. 

He goes on to discuss a number of other photographers who deliberately make mistakes - taking photos through car windows, underexposing photos, etc. I've come across this idea about photography before, quite recently - finding photographers who use cheap cameras and take deliberately blurred photos. 

It's very reassuring to me, because I feel so constrained by rules about life. According to the rules of how my life goes and my experience of tapering so far, life is going to be hard for the foreseeable future. That's the way it is.

But then, in art and other forms of creative expression, I find a place where the rules do not determine the outcome. Taking great photos isn't about having the most expensive, 'state of the art' equipment and editing with the best software. 

No comments:

Post a Comment